Face paint step-by-step
We sell water-based face paints. Here's your guide to applying them.
- Make sure your face paints are presented on a clean towel and that you have a good supply of water for washing brushes and sponges between faces.
- There is no need to put any cream or moisturiser on the skin before you begin. Water-based face paint is best applied directly onto clean, dry skin.
- You may wish to keep the hair away from the face with a hair band or clips.
- Always apply the base colour first, using a damp sponge. Make sure that the sponge is not too wet by squeezing out excess water or the finished result may be streaky.
- To achieve a deeper colour, allow the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat.
- On designs that have a variety of light and dark colours, apply the lighter colour first, if possible.
- When applying colour with a brush, keep strokes even and work in continuous lines. Avoid the temptation to sketch. Confidence will come with practice.